10 sessions of readings introducing the raison d'être of the Platypus Affiliated Society.
Platypus organizes reading groups, public fora, research, and journalism focused on problems and tasks inherited from the “Old” (1920s-30s), “New” (1960s-70s), and post-political (1980s-90s) Left for possibilities of emancipatory politics today.
Meet 6 PM Sundays @ McMicken FreeSpace
Open to the public / new attendants encouraged.
Readings & full schedule online at: http://bit.ly/2st7CPg
Week 1. Capital in history | July 16th
• Cutrone, “Symptomology: Historical transformations in social-political context”
• Cutrone, “Capital in history: The need for a Marxian philosophy of history of the Left”
+ Capital in history timeline and chart of terms
+ video of Communist University 2011 London presentation
+ Marx on "becoming" (from the Grundrisse)
+ Marx and Engels as philosophes of a Second Enlightenment
Week 2. The concept of the Left | July 23rd
• Kolakowski, “The concept of the Left”
• Adorno, “Imaginative excesses”
Week 3. Historical regression | July 30th
• Blumberg, Cutrone, Khan, Leonard, and Rubin - The decline of the Left in the 20th century
Week 4. Resisting capital | August 6th
• Anderson, Cutrone, Kreitman, Postel, and Turl - Imperialism: What is it, and why should we be against it?
• Albert, Cutrone, Duncombe, and Holmes - The Three R's: reform, revolution, and "resistance" (the problematic forms of "anti-capitalism" today)
Week 5. Proletarian politics | August 13th
• Brennan, Davis, Hendricks, Mujica, and Rubin - What is a movement?
• Hendricks, Hughes, Mwaura, and Thindwa - Left behind: The working class in crisis
Week 6. Israel-Palestine | August 20th
• Platypus Historians Group - Catastrophe, historical memory, and the Left: 60 years of Israel-Palestine
• Ibish, Kovel, and Rubin - Which way forward for Palestinian liberation?
• Goodman and Rubin - Marxism and Israel
Week 7. Ideology and identity | August 27th
• Farrow, Gabriellas, Mucciaroni, and Wolf - Which way forward for sexual liberation?
• Nogales, Pereira Di Salvo, and Rojas - Politics of the contemporary student Left
• Brennan, Klatt, Petcov, and Weger - Ideology and the student Left
Week 8. Social & cultural critique | September 3rd
• Bernstein, Cutrone, Goehr, and Horowitz - The relevance of Critical Theory to art today
• Brown, Cutrone, Feenberg, and Westerman - The politics of Critical Theory
Week 9. Theory and practice | September 10th
• Horkheimer and Adorno - "Discussion about Theory and Praxis" (AKA "Towards a New Manifesto?") (1956)
• Horkheimer - selections from the Dammerung
• Adorno - "Resignation" (1969)
• Cutrone - "The Marxist hypothesis"
• Cutrone - "The Left is dead! Long live the Left!"
Week 10. The Platypus synthesis | September 17th
• Cutrone, Morrison, and Rubin - The Platypus synthesis: History, theory, and practice
Note: Alcohol may be present at this event.